HD PVR 2 model 1512 Overview
HD PVR 2 model 1512: your personal high definition video recorder!
HD PVR 2 comes with Hauppauge Capture. Record video at up to 1080p from a DVR or satellite or cable TV set top box or a video game console. HD PVR 2 can record from either HDMI (without HDCP protection), Component video (red/green/blue connectors on the back of your cable/satellite box) or composite video (the yellow connector on the back of your cable/satellite box).
You can record TV programs from a DVR and free up space on the DVR for more recordings. Create a library of your favorite TV programs.
Or use the included WinTV v8.5 application to schedule TV recordings directly from a cable TV or satellite set top box.
Amazing HD audio and video quality
HD PVR 2 contains a studio quality video encoder, and records at resolutions up to 1080P30.
The H.264 format is used by Blu-ray discs and exceeds other video compression standards in quality and disk space consumption, providing a crisp image and amazing digital sound. H.264 uses 1/3 the disk space compared with the popular MPEG-2 format.
And with HD PVR 2 model 1512’s S/PDIF optical audio input, your audio will be as amazing as the video. If you have 5.1 channel AC3 audio from HDMI or optical S/PDIF, your recordings will have 5.1 channel AC-3 audio!
Make your own HD movie library from cable or satellite TV
Offload your cable or satellite DVR box with the HD PVR 2 model 1512 in full HD. Create a library of your favorite high definition TV programs.
The HD PVR 2 model 1512 supports both HDMI and Component video. For best results, your cable or satellite TV box should have Component video out since sometimes (but not always), the boxes put HDCP copy protection on the HDMI cable. But component video is never copy protected.
To tell if your cable box has component video connectors, look on the back of the box for Red/Green/Blue connectors. These are often marked 'YPrPb'. Here is what a typical set top box with component video connectors will look like. The component video cables are in 6 and the Left/Right audio connectors are 8.
Record your favorite cable or satellite TV programs in HD. Use the included IR blaster to control the channel changing on your set top box
Connect HD PVR to your satellite or cable TV set top box via the HD component cables (supplied). With the TV scheduler and IR blaster, HD PVR can change the channel on the set top box and record the selected program. Hauppauge’s TV Scheduler provides a easy way to schedule your TV recordings. Create a schedule of weekly or once only recordings, and HD PVR will record them automatically! Find your favorite movie, sports event or show, schedule it and let HD PVR 2 take over!
You can also record your video game play in HD. Upload to YouTube and share with your friends! Stream your videos, too!
Record your best gaming moves without slowing down your PC. The video compression is done inside HD PVR 2 so you can record your PC game play in HD without slowing down your PC. You can also record Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, PS4 and Wii U game play. And HD PVR 2’s HD video passthrough means you can record and watch your game play at the same time, with no delay! HD PVR 2 captures videos in a format which is perfect for uploading to YouTube.
Personal Logo application
The HD PVR 2 and Colossus 2 Logo Inserter puts a graphic in your recordings or video streams. It does this automatically, branding your videos and streams with your logo. In the TV industry, an on-screen logo is called a 'digital onscreen graphic' or 'TV bug', and you can often see this in the lower right hand corner of news programs on TV. The Hauppauge Personal Logo application uses the Logo Inserter, and is part of the Hauppauge Capture application (it can be found in the Settings tab). There is also a standalone version which is installed with the HD PVR 2 Installation package.
Here is a short test video we made using the logo inserted by the Personal Logo application. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T1phlzaz28
Some tips on using the Personal Logo application
- The logo must be less than 1200pixels x 550pixels and be a GIF, BMP or PNG format. PNG files are recommended since they can be transparent. When creating a PNG file, create 24-bit transparent logos.
- In Hauppauge Capture, click the Settings tab and then click 'Enable Personal Logo'. Then click 'Browse' and find your logo. Once you open the logo, you can position it on the screen by dragging it around with your mouse. Then click the 'Apply' button to add your logo.
- If you change the record resolution, the HD PVR 2 record application will calculate where to reposition it to keep it in the same spot.
- You can adjust the transparency by using the Alpha slide bar. All the way to the right makes the logo fully opaque, while moving it to the middle makes the logo semi-transparent.
- The settings are "sticky". Once set, they will be applied to all future recordings (unless you re-run the Personal logo program and make changes).
Model 01512: HD PVR 2 HD video recorder with English manual
Bundled software applications
- Hauppauge Capture, with these features:
- Video capture for recording HD video
- Trim and combine your videos
- Upload videos to YouTube
- Hauppauge SteamEez software, to stream your game play to Twitch or YouTube
- Hauppauge’s Personal Logo inserter, to burn your logo into your recordings and video streams
- WinTV v8, with TV Scheduler and IR blaster so you can record TV from a cable or satellite box
Included in this package
- HD PVR 2 high definition H.264 personal video recorder, USB 2.0
- 6V 1.6 amp power supply
- USB cable - 9 ft.
- 2 meter HDMI cable to connect to your TV monitor
- 2 meter IR blaster cable
- Hauppauge A/V adapter cable with Component video connectors, to connect to your cable or satellite box
- Hauppauge Capture (download)
- WinTV v8.5 (download)
- Quick installation guide
Note: HD PVR 2 will not record video from HDMI with HDCP copy protection. If you are recording from a cable or satellite TV box, we have included a set of Component video cables to connect to your box.
Note: HD PVR 2 model 1512 comes supplied with either a green or blue LED record indicator. In all other respects, all versions of the HD PVR 2 model 1512 are the same.
HD PVR 2 hardware specs
- Hardware encoder
- Studio quality video encoder, with 70 frame GOP size for the best recording quality
- H.264 AVCHD high definition video encoder, with record resolution to 1080p30
Recording datarate: from 1 to 13.5 Mbits/sec (CBR) or up to 21Mbits/sec (VBR)
Recording video formats: AVCHD (.TS and .M2TS) plus .MP4
- Audio recording formats
- HDMI in with 5.1 channel AC-3 audio: your recordings will have AC-3 audio
- Optical audio in with 5.1 channel AC-3 audio: your recordings will have AC-3 audio
- Note: Hauppauge Capture capture has the ability to disable AC-3 audio from the A/V source
- No delay HDMI passthrough
- HDMI in to HDMI out - up to 1080p60
- Component Video in to HDMI out - up to 1080p60
- Input/output connections
- HDMI in, from HDMI sources without HDCP (some cable and satellite boxes)
- Component video in, with stereo audio (sometimes marked 'YPrPb' on cable or satellite boxes)
- S-Video and composite video in, with stereo audio (optional cable not supplied)
- HDMI passthrough
- Size: 6 in wide x 6 in deep x 1.5 in high
- Power: 6V at 1.6 amps
- Weight: .75lb / .34 kg / 12 oz
- Recording formats
- 1080p60p (recorded as 1080p30)
- 1080p50p (recorded as 1080p25)
Note: HD PVR 2 will not record video from HDMI with HDCP copy protection. If you are recording PS3 gameplay, use the included PS3 component video gaming cable.
- Laptop or desktop PC with 3.0 GHz single core or 2.0 GHz multi-core processor
- Microsoft® Windows® 10, 8, 7 or Vista (32 or 64-bit)
- TV set with HDMI input(optional for preview)
- 1 GB memory recommended
- Internet connection (for Hauppauge Capture download)